[Return to Photo Gallery Index]

1-stem.png 2-screws.png 3a-pilot.png 3b-ready.png 4-good-help.png
5-brace1.png 6-transom-2.png 7-transom-1.png 8-upside-down.png 9-bottom.png 10-bottom-installed.png
11-bigger.png 12-russian.png 13-bathtub.png 13-ready-for-paint.png 14-ready-for-paint.png 15-mallet.png
16-bottom-paint.png 17-ready-to-splash.png 18-7-4-dink.JPG 19-sale-dink.jpeg
Ready to splash...

Have to wait 12 hours for the bottom paint to cure before we can get her wet. Oar locks in place, only other need is to install the seat slats in the morning (Just painted white to avoid hot butt syndrome) Lennie had a couple of gallons of forest green enamel that we decided to use for the interior rather than white. Hope it will show less wear/dirt in the long run. Intially was going to paint the gunwales and false stem black to match the rubrail on the Solitaire, but I like the look of the bright oak. The joinery was not planned for stain grade (some epoxy filler here and there), but I can live with it. This is a working dink, so what the heck. Don't like the maintenance of bright work, but as I figured to varnish (Bristol 2 part urethane) the breast hook, and quarter knees, a few more feet of gunwale ain't no big deal. If I get tired of it, easy enough to repaint.

Excited to take her for a row in the morning. Wrapped the oars yesterday but will wait to epoxy ends and install leather stops until we verify everything is in exactly the right place. The home brew serving mallet worked great. When we unwrapped the test run (on 1.25 inch pine dowel) the wraps were so tight you could see the braid pattern impressed into the dowel. Don't expect any problems with slippage at that rate.
Images copyright © 2014, D. ONeill, All rights reserved.

Click To Return To Top Of Page